Library Services You Can Use From Home
Even though the Library is closed, many of our amazing services are available online. Depending on the service, you can use your computer, smartphone, tablet or smart TV to access a host of materials and media for FREE.
If you need additional assistance accessing these resources, please email email@example.com or contact us by visiting baldwinpl.org/contact-us.
Jump to: Other Useful Sites / Links | Sites / Links for Kids
Library Subscribed Resources:
Digital Library Card - In an effort to improve access to digital services during this time, the Baldwin Public Library has enabled the use of a digital card should you not already possess a library card. Upon approval, your card will last until June 30th. Please note that this card is for digital services only, and cannot be used to borrow physical materials from any public library in Nassau County.
Online Events - Although ALL Library events/programs have been cancelled through April 30, we invite you to check our events Page to learn about any upcoming ONLINE programs we may be hosting.
RBdigital Magazines - download and read magazines.
Hoopla - Offers downloadable eBooks, audiobooks, comics, and music.
Kanopy - Stream music and videos. Also has a dedicated section for Kids called "Kanopy Kids."
Online Databases - We subscribe to a wide variety of databases including those that offer magazine, journal and newspaper articles, as well as research databases on specific subjects such as literature, music, art, science, business, health and readers’ advisory, and more.
Miss Humblebee’s Academy - An interactive kindergarten-readiness program that introduces children ages three to six to key concepts in math, science, social studies, language and literacy, art, and music. It’s as challenging as it is fun! (If you are asked for a password, the password is "open")
Gale in Context: High School - Supports student papers, projects, and presentations while empowering the development of critical thinking and problem-solving skills with content aligned to national and state curriculum standards. (If you are asked for a password, the password is "open")
Gale in Context: College - Offers interdisciplinary content that reinforces the development of skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, communication, collaboration, creativity, and innovation. (If you are asked for a password, the password is "open")
LearningExpress Library - Keep up with your studies. LearningExpress brings together resources for AP, SAT, high school equivalency, U.S. citizenship, civil service and real estate exams. Other courses include computer tutorials, ESL skill-building, and practice and lessons in core subjects for elementary through introductory college-level students. Includes nearly 200 eBooks to download and use. (Click here for tutorial videos)
Tumblebooks - A collection of talking, animated picture books, puzzles, and quizzes. Includes resources for teachers.
TumbleMath.com - K-6 math ebook database. (Free access until August 31, 2020)
TeenBookCloud.com - gr 7-12 ebook database. (Free access until August 31, 2020)
AudioBookCloud.com - all ages audio book database. (Free access until August 31, 2020)
JobNow - JobNow (from Brainfuse) provides résumé-building tools, real-time interview coaching, and expert career advice. The Adult Learning Center features test preparation (including high school equivalency and U.S. Citizenship exams), writing assistance, help with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and study tools for math, reading and writing.
History of the Baldwin Public Library - We're over 100 years old!
Take our Library Quiz - How much do you know about the Baldwin Public Library?
Social Media - Give us a like/follow.
Other Useful Sites / Links:
• SimplyE (New York Public Library) - The Library E-Reader from The New York Public Library, available for iPhone and Android, gives you access to 300,000+ eBooks, from bestsellers to classics and to read them instantly—anywhere, anytime.
• Bookpage April Issue - Bookpage has lifted restrictions on the sharing and viewing of their digital issues while these closures are in effect so enjoy!
• Bookpage Newsletter - Sign up to receive reading recommendations in your favorite genres.
• GCFLearnFree.org - A free online educational website focusing on technology, job training, reading, and math skills. The site is a program of Goodwill Industries of Eastern NC Inc. and the Goodwill Community Foundation Inc.
• Khan Academy - A free, personalized learning resource for all ages, offering instructional videos, practice exercises, and a personalized learning dashboard that empower learners to study at their own pace in and outside of the classroom. Math, science, computer programming, history, art history, economics, and more, including SAT, ACT, and other test prep. Excels in math learning for all ages. Includes free tools for parents and teachers.
• Coursera - Every course on Coursera is taught by top instructors from world-class universities and companies, so you can learn something new anytime, anywhere. Hundreds of free courses give you access to on-demand video lectures, homework exercises, and community discussion forums. Paid courses also available.
• EdX - A non-profit, massive open online course (MOOC) provider, partnering with the world’s leading universities and organizations to offer high-quality online courses to learners across the world. Many courses can be audited for free. Paid courses also available.
• TED Talks - Carefully curated, influential videos from expert speakers on education, business, science, tech and creativity, with subtitles in 100+ languages. TED is a nonprofit devoted to spreading ideas, usually in the form of short, powerful talks (18 minutes or less). TED began in 1984 as a conference where Technology, Entertainment and Design converged, and today covers almost all topics — from science to business to global issues.
• Telephone Medicaid Enrollment Assistance - Nassau-Suffolk Hospital Council’s Medicaid enrollment assistors have been given permission by NYS DOH to provide Medicaid enrollment assistance by phone to adults and children disabled or blind and anyone over the age of 65. Much of the documentation requirements have been relaxed to make it easier for people to apply during this time. Nassau-Suffolk Hospital Council continues to provide Medicaid enrollment assistance. They can be reached at (631) 656-9783.
• 2020 Census - Don't forget to fill out the 2020 Census.
Sites / Links for Kids: