INTERLIBRARY LOAN POLICY
(Baldwin Union Free School District residents only)
When the Baldwin Library does not own books, recordings, audiobooks, periodical articles or other Library materials that you need, an interlibrary loan system allows us to request them for you from other libraries. Receipt of the requested material varies from a minimum of three days to several months. As always, the Library staff is ready to assist you in making your request.
Interlibrary Loan Policy (Adopted January 20, 2010)
The Baldwin Public Library is a member of the Nassau Library System and as such will participate in a resource sharing program and borrow materials from other libraries in Nassau County. The Library will also request materials from outside the county or out of state when necessary.
Purpose of Interlibrary Loan
To obtain for Baldwin Public Library patrons materials not owned by either the Baldwin Public Library or by member libraries of the Nassau Library System.
Eligibility and Limits on Interlibrary Loan Borrowing
Because Interlibrary Loan involves items owned by institutions other than those in the Nassau Library System and because of the labor the service requires, certain restrictions and limits apply to Interlibrary Loan borrowing.
• Interlibrary Loan service is available to Baldwin Public Library cardholders as long as they are in good standing with the Library.
• Interlibrary Loans (ILL) requests must be made in person.
• A patron may have only five (5) active requests at any one time. Active requests include both items currently on loan and items currently being searched for.
• The patron should realize that it may take from one week to three months or more to obtain material and should indicate a deadline if there is one.
• While attempts to obtain items without charge will be made, fees, which are determined by the supplying libraries, are sometimes requested. Most items can be borrowed without charge. However, the Baldwin Public Library will not be responsible for paying any borrowing fees. If there is a borrowing fee, the patron will be contacted to approve the charge before the reserve is actually placed with the lending library. If a borrower authorizes the Library to obtain materials from a supplying library that charges a fee, the borrower is responsible for paying that fee. Once charges have been incurred on a patron’s behalf, the patron is responsible for charges up to the agreed amount even if the item is not picked up.
• The Baldwin Public Library will absorb the return mail postage up to $3.00. Any additional cost must be paid by the patron.
• Borrowers are responsible for any charges levied by a supplying library for materials lost or damaged while charged out to the borrower. No refunds will be made for lost and paid Interlibrary Loan materials that are subsequently found unless agreed to by the lending library.
• Loan periods and renewal options are determined by the lending library. Moreover, a lender may recall an item at any time. Renewals are at the discretion of the lending institution. Some require that the item be used only in the borrower’s library.
By having your library card “punched” for direct access, you may use any of the 54 libraries in Nassau County subject to certain restrictions. To qualify for direct access, you must be a registered borrower in good standing at the Baldwin Library. For more information ask at the Circulation Desk.