Apply for Your Passport at the Baldwin Public Library

U.S. Passports
You can apply for a passport book or a passport card at the Baldwin Public Library. We are now an official Passport Acceptance Facility certified by the U.S. Department of State.

You must request an appointment. Please email Edward Daly at, or request an appointment online. (Note: due to the Library closing through March 31, there will be no passport appointments until early April)

Passport Acceptance Facilities do not handle passport renewals, but we can review your DS-82 for free and take a new photo for $10.

The following is required (full details can be found on the Department of State’s website -


Please answer questions 1 - 21 in black ink and do not write in the other sections. Do not use whiteout. Do not sign the form until instructed to do so by the Passport Acceptance Agent. This form may be filled out online here.


(submit an original or certified copy of your citizenship evidence AND a photocopy)

If born in the United States, you may submit an original or certified copy of your birth certificate (NOT a photocopy). It must have been issued by the city, county, or state of birth and include your full name, date, and place of birth; the full names of your parents; the signature of the city, county, or state registrar; the date of filing in the registrar’s office (within one year of birth); and the seal of the issuing authority.

If born outside the United States, you may submit a previous fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport, a Certificate of Naturalization, a Certificate of Citizenship or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.


(Bring the ID and a photocopy)

You may submit a previous or current fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport book or card, a valid driver's license, a Certificate of Naturalization, a Certificate of Citizenship, a U.S. military or military dependent ID card, or a government employee ID card. Each item must have a photograph and a signature and must not have been altered. Note: Some primary IDs do not have a signature.

If your New York State driver's license was issued less than one year ago, you must provide one form of secondary ID (see the next paragraph).

If you do not have primary ID, you may submit at least two forms of secondary ID, such as a state-issued ID card, a work or industrial ID card, a school or college ID card, or an expired driver’s license. The ID must have a photograph and a signature and must not have been altered in any way. (No secondary ID, however, is acceptable alone as proof of identity).


You must present one color photograph with the following characteristics:

• Taken within the last six months on photo quality paper and not retouched.
• Measuring 2” x 2” overall and from 1” to 1 3/8” from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.
• Showing a full front view of the face with a natural or neutral facial expression with both eyes open.
• Taken in normal street attire against a white or off-white background. Please do not wear white.
• No uniforms except for religious attire.
• No hats or head coverings except for medical or religious reasons.
• No glasses or other eyewear without a signed statement from a doctor.

Photos can be taken in the Library for $10 each.


You must submit two checks or two money orders: one for the application fee payable to the U.S. Department of State and one for the execution fee ($35 an application) payable to the Baldwin Public Library.


• Adult Passport Book: $110
• Adult Passport Card: $30
• Adult Passport Book and Card: $140
• Minor Passport Book: $80
• Minor Passport Card: $15
• Minor Passport Book and Card: $95


• Expedite Fee (2-3 week processing instead of 4-6 weeks): $60 (paid to the U.S. Department of State)
• 1-2 Day Delivery of Passport from the State Department to the customer: $17.13 (paid to the U.S. Department of State)
• Express Mail of the application from the Library to the U.S. Department of State $25.50 (paid to the Library)

Up to four people may be included on one check.


A minor 16 or 17 years old must appear in person and sign the application. The minor may submit his or her own identification if available; if not, the minor's parent may identify the minor and sign the application along with the minor. The minor does not have to submit parental consent, but must show parental awareness such as a parent’s personal check or a parent’s name as an emergency contact.

A minor under 16 years old must satisfy special requirements. Both parents must appear with the minor, present the minor’s birth certificate with the names of both parents, present valid government ID, take an oath, and sign the application.

Any minor applying for a passport who has ever been issued one must submit it with the DS-11 or file a DS-64 (Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen U.S. Passport Book and/or Card) as well.

Adult (16 years and older) passports are valid for 10 years and minor (under 16) passports are valid for 5 years.

You may check the status of your application after seven days at

If you need to travel in less than 2 - 3 weeks the Library cannot help you. You must call the U.S. Department of State’s National Passport Information Center at 877-487-2778 to book an appointment and you must show proof of travel. If you need to travel within 72 hours (3 business days) due to severe illness, surgery, or death of an immediate family member, call the Passport Duty Officer 24/7 at 202-647-4000.

Due to the Library closing through March 31, there will be no passport appointments until early April.